Sunday, August 24, 2008

CITY BOY / IT'S PERSONAL

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1981 on Vertigo Records.
Format: Mp3

Bit Rate: 320 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:

Produced By: Mike Slamer & City Boy
Recorded At: Battery Studios, The Farmyard, Rockfield Studios
Mixed At: Rockfield Studios by Pat Moran, Mike Slamer & City Boy
Engineered By: Mike Shipley, Steve Taylor, Ian Marais, Pat Moran

Cover Art: Brian Homer & John Reardon of Sidelines Design & Photography
TRACK LISTING:
No Ordinary Life
Rat Race
The Blind Leading The Blind
Le Guerra De Mondo
Lovers
It's Personal
Who Killed Delores?
Names And Addresses
Exit The Heavyweight
THE BAND:

Lol Mason - Vocals
Max Thomas - Keyboards
Mike Slamer - Guitars, Bass
Roy Ward - Drums, Vocals
WEBSITE:
http://cityboy.org/
http://cityboy.psilander.se
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
Album #7. The last Gasp. As I've already mentioned, I didn't even know this album existed until about 6 years ago. I just happen to stumbled onto a website that mentioned the lost City Boy album and that started a search that ultimately brought a copy home to me. The way I understand it this album never even got released in the states and was only released in a handful of European countries.
My feelings about this release are of course colored by the fact that there was a 20+ year gap between "Heads Are Rolling" and finally hearing this lp and although I don't think it stands up to "Heads" in the quality of the tunes department it's still not a bad album, there's just nothing that's going to knock your socks off.
There is still some tasty Mike Slamer guitar and Roy Wards drumming and vocals are still very distinctive but I'd hazard a guess that after 7 attempts to get noticed and now at this point not even getting released in the states that they'd simply gotten tired of not getting the recognition that they'd deserved since Dinner At The Ritz came out.
I would say that if you've downloaded and enjoyed the City Boy experience up to this point that you should go ahead and get this one too, to have the complete catalog, but If you've been less than impressed with the City Boy you heard so far then you might as well skip this one.
After the demise of City Boy Mike Slamer went on to hook up with Steve Walsh, who'd left Kansas at that point and they put together a great rock n roll band called Streets. They put out two lp's, of which I have one. Still looking for the 2nd one. I was lucky enough to see Streets perform live in a small club environment in Grand Rapids, MI. back then and got to see Mike Slamer work his magic up close and personal.
Tom
CONTACT:
READ THIS me for more information on this album.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, thank you so much for posting all the City Boy albums. I've been searching high and wide for them.

Just like you I'm an old fan, Dinner at the Ritz was my first album too. I've also had the good fortune to see them live twice, and they could really bring it on stage.

Once again, many thanks!

Best, Pontus

Friday, October 24, 2008 at 11:22:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Could you say me where is the link ?

sosgotcha

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 8:08:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Could you say me where is the link ?

sosgotcha

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 8:08:00 AM EST  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

You need to read or at least scan thru the whole post. Then, at the end of post there is a section called CONTACT. Read and follow the instructions there. Pretty simple really....

Tc

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 7:37:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home