Monday, August 18, 2008

CITY BOY / DINNER AT THE RITZ

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1977 on Mercury Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 256 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced By: Robert "Mutt" John Lange
Engineered By: dB Charles & Robert John Lange
Mixing Engineer: Peter Kelsey
Recorded At: Rockfield Studios, Monmouth
Mixed At: Trident, London
Album Cover: Geoff Halpin & Paul Wakefield
TRACK LISTING:
Momma's Boy
Walk On The Water
Narcissus
Dinner At The Ritz
Goodbye Blue Monday
The Violin
State Secrets - A Thriller
THE BAND:
Lol Mason - Lead Vocals, Back-up Vocals, Lyrics
Steve Broughton - Lead Vocals, Back-up Vocals, Autoharp
Max Thomas - Vocals, Keyboards
Mike Slamer - Electric Guitars
Chris Dunn - Bass, Guitar
Roger Kent - Drums, Percussion
WEBSITE:
http://cityboy.org/
http://cityboy.psilander.se/
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
Album Two is where I came in. WLAV, the rock & roll station in this area to listen to in the 70's if you wanted to hear something new and stay up on what's happening and one afternoon I heard Walk On The Water coming out of the speakers and as soon as I found out who it was I was heading down to the local record store (ah, the good ole days) to pick up a copy. At that point I found out that Dinner At The Ritz was the second release so I bought 'em both and headed home. It didn't seem all that long after that, that their 3rd album came out. By then I was a large City Boy fan.
There's not a bad cut on this album but my favorites would have to be hmmm, all of 'em I guess although I have a special fondness for Walk On The Water cuz it was the first cut I ever heard from this boys from the other side of the pond. I never got to see 'em live but have heard from folks who have that said they could get it done live too.....
If you've never heard of City Boy before now I'd suggest starting with this one or Book Early (Once I get it posted) and see what ya think. For me their 1979 release "The Day The Earth Caught Fire" is the pinnacle of City Boy creativity, but we'll talk more about that one later on.
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.

Tom

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Allen said...

Thanks! I had Day the Earth Caught Fire before, but I'm enjoying getting into the rest of their catalog with your help.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 1:58:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened the band in 1978. There was a radio here in Rio de Janeiro called Eldo Pop that it included her in the programming. Only that didn't speak the name of the band. I only came to know the name of the band when I radiate changed it of name and put announcers. I have good memories of that time. I was 19 years old was happy and I didn't know. Today only it remains the memory of that good time.Cavalcante ( from Brazil )

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 2:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

yep, those were good times, now we're older and hopefully wiser and we still have music to make us feel good.
Hope everything is well for you in Brazil. Someday I hope to visit.

TC

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 11:29:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home