Thursday, August 21, 2008

CITY BOY / BOOK EARLY

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1978 on Mercury Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 256 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced By: Robert "Mutt" John Lange
Recorded At: Rockfield Studios, Monmouth, South Wales
Engineered By: Robert John Lange, Ted Sharp, Neil Ross, Gary Edwards
Mixed At: The Record Plant, Los Angeles, California
Cover Art: Richard Haughton
TRACK LISTING:
5.7.0.5.
Summer In The School Yard
Goodbye Laurelie
Raise Your Glass (To Foolish Me)
Cigarettes
What A Night
Do What You Do, Do Well
The World Loves A Dancer
Beth
Moving In Circles
Dangerous Ground
THE BAND:

Lol Mason - Lead Vocals, Back-up Vocals, Lyrics
Steve Broughton - Lead Vocals, Back-up Vocals, Autoharp
Max Thomas - Vocals, Keyboards
Mike Slamer - Electric Guitars
Chris Dunn - Bass, Guitar
Roy Ward - Lead Vocals, Drums, Percussion
WEBSITE:
http://cityboy.org/
http://cityboy.psilander.se
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
This is album #4 and listening to it tonight I'm almost not sure if it's this one or "The Day The Earth Caught Fire" that is my favorite City Boy album. Hey, what am I thinking, this is my blog, I can have 2 favorite albums by the same band if I want to.........
So, this is a fantastic album. 5.7.0.5. starts it off and if there ever was a City Boy tune screaming to be a top 10 hit this would be it. A little further on is "Goodbye Laurelie". A tune that's a bit of mystery to me, never been able to really get a handle on the subject matter but I do love to sing along with the chorus. Another fav of mine is Cigarettes. A rocking tune that almost makes me want to light up...
Side B starts out with one of the best tunes ever and one that contains a life's lesson. Do What You Do, Do Well......damn few times you'll get better advice than that and then have it delivered by Mr Roy Ward, the new drummer who's a killer on the kit and has a classic rock n roll voice. The rest of Side B is equally as good as the first tune although no more life's lessons are to be found and the album ends with the cut Dangerous Ground, a history lesson of sorts and a tune I dearly love to sing along with as long as there's no one around to hear.
City Boy really stepped it up a couple notches with this 4th release. The song writing keeps getting better with each album and the addition of Roy Ward on drums was just what the doctor ordered to kick this band into high gear. If the world wasn't seriously off kilter these boys would've been as big a household name as Pink Floyd or at least 10cc.
If you download this one minimize the distractions and just listen.......a feast for your ears.
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.

Tom

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite album from City Boy!
And "The World Loves A Dancer" is one of my fav songs of all times

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 2:19:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog while looking for cover art for Book Early. I just converted it from vinyl to digital for my iTunes. I read your comments and thought, "Yes! I'm not the only one who's ever heard of City Boy and who knows what a terrific album "B E" is.
I've always been curious about the previous three albums. If I love "B E", how would I like the others?
Now, excuse me; I've gotta record "The Day Earth Caught Fire"

Friday, September 10, 2010 at 1:03:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home