Sunday, March 02, 2008

JOHN PALUMBO / INNOCENT BYSTANDER

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1978 on Lifesong Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 320 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced by Peter Sullivan
Engineered By: Ron Malo
Recorded At: Wally Heider's and Devonshire Studios, Los Angeles, March - May 1978
Album Cover: Roberto Rocco
TRACK LISTING:
Madness On Comet Way / Family Man / Dear, Dear / A Man In The Sky / I Lean On You / Kangaroos / No One Wants To Be Alone / It's Okay To Die / The Crying Father From Idaho / They Go To Movies
All songs written by John Palumbo
THE PLAYERS:
John Palumbo - Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
Guitars - Lee Ritenour, Steve Beckmeyer
Bass - Dennis Bellfield, Reggie McBride
Drums - Harvey Mason, Alvin Taylor
Keyboards - Michael Columbier
Background Vocals - Badfinger
WEBSITE(S):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_the_Sky Wikipedia Site
http://www.bobbyshred.com/crackthesky.html Bobby Shred Tribute Site
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
Well, lets start off this way. I like this album, quite a bit, but you may not. Like quite a few things in life certain performers are a matter of taste. Not everyone likes mushrooms either, but to those of us who do, a steak would not be complete without them.
Normally I'd say, if you like Crack The Sky (John's band, for the most part) then you'll like this album, but again, this solo work doesn't hold a lot in common with the Crack the Sky albums. This is an album where John branches out and covers themes and styles of music that would be out of place on a CTS album. Although I enjoy the entire album, my favorites have always been Dear, Dear, I Lean On You, It's Okay to Die & They Go To Movies.
If you consider yourself open-minded musically and enjoy hearing new stuff then I'd suggest giving this one a go. The worst that can happen is you don't like it in which case the delete key is only a click or two away. Who knows though, you might find it's a keeper and find yourself singing along after just a couple plays.
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this almost forgotten vinyl gem. I worked in a record store between 1977 - 1985 and had this on promo vinyl. All my original vinyl is long gone but you've helped me with some great memories with your great posts. Keep up the good work.

Long Island Steve

Sunday, March 2, 2008 at 11:30:00 PM EST  
Blogger Camarillo Brillo said...

Love John Palumbo!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 at 12:11:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
Thanks so much for this download! I also at one time had the promo white label version of this, and loved it! I'm a big fan of Crack The Sky, and this is kinda like CTS-Lite; or "John the Singer-Songwriter"

This is the only place I could find this, so THANKS AGAIN!!

Mickey D

Friday, April 25, 2008 at 2:16:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Camarillo Brillo said...

I recently added "Cruel Shoes" CD, to share, a band fronted by John Palumbo...go get it...

Friday, April 25, 2008 at 4:46:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny how the gist of the comments here seem to skew. I worked in the retail record business from maybe '77 to '86, have a white-label promo copy of the elpee (did anybody actually buy this album?) and have been converting my vinyl to mp3 of late with a USB turntable. My album skipped terribly but I was so very taken with the relistening of "It's Okay To Die" after all these years. Thanks for the archive that allowed me to restore a better-quality sounding version of the record I already owned.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 12:11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Nino Cariello said...

Do you have the link to this album?
Thanks
Nino (Brazil)

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 at 8:59:00 AM EST  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

Nino,

Things around here have changed recently so what you need to do is read the October 26th post and email me the requested information. Contact me via Email NOT thru here.

Tc

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 at 9:03:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home