Wednesday, February 20, 2008

ANDREW GOLD / WHIRLWIND

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1980 on Asylum Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 320 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced By: Andrew Gold
Production Assistant: Melanie McDowell
Engineered By: Greg Ladanyi & Jim Nipar
Recorded & Mixed At: The Sound Factory & Record One, Los Angeles
Album Cover: Jim Shea
TRACK LISTING:
Kiss This One Goodbye / Whirlwind / Sooner Or Later / Leave Her Alone / Little Company / Brand New Face / Nine To Five / Stranded On The Edge / Make Up Your Mind
All Songs Written and Arranged by Andrew Gold
THE PLAYERS:
Andrew Gold - Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards, Synthesizer
Drums: Michael Botts, Rick Marotta
Bass - Bryan Garofalo, Kenny Edwards
Guitar - Waddy Wachtel
Keyboards - Don Grolnick
Background Vocals - Brock Walsh
WEBSITE(S):
http://www.andrewgold.com/ Andrew's Home Page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Gold Wikipedia Site
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
Not a whole lot I can say about this one without overdoing it so let me just say if you have any rock and roll bones in your body at all ( and I assume you do or you wouldn't be reading this.....) then there's damn little chance that you won't be playing this one over and over at a decent volume. Andrew's first 3 albums were great. They were full of wonderful tunes, great arrangements, the whole nine yards, but this one is different. Andrew is pissed, he's got attitude and both his voice and his guitar work have a "don't screw around with me" vibe. The guitar work is fantastic. I didn't know that he could play like that There's not a weak spot on this disc, but the high points for me include "Kiss this one goodbye", Leave Her Alone" and two others that actually helped convince me to marry my wife....."Sooner or Later" and Make Up Your Mind". I've heard that Andrew likes this album least of the one's he's put out. I dunno why that would be unless it was a time in his life that he'd rather not recall.......for me it's makes a very strong statement, is full of very strong lyrical content and just simple good advice......I been married for over 25 years now, to the same woman and still happy about it......matter of fact my wife just bought me a T-shirt for my birthday (#55) that says "if my music is too loud, you're too old". Rock on to the end kids.
===========
A surprise offering from a gifted artist!, March 21, 2006
By D. Frame "music lover" (Missouri)
If you are a casual fan of Andrew Gold, I would suggest his compilation CD which spans the majority of his career as a solo artist. However, if you are a fan of Gold and are not familiar with this album, I can promise you that you will not be disappointed with this purchase. It is true that you will not find songs that sound like "Thank You For Being A Friend" on this CD. Personally, I am grateful for that. I've always considered this album to be the one where Andrew Gold matured as an artist - and I use the word "artist" as a major compliment - a singer, songwriter and, yes, a rocker. This is the Gold offering that shows his more rocking side and he does it well. Imagine "Lonely Boy" with a bit more edge and you've got the idea for this one. Musically and lyrically, there is not one bad track on this CD. I would probably have only given this four stars (his "What's Wrong With This Picture" would be a five star effort) but I wanted to offset the ridiculous 1 star rating given by the only other reviewer at the time I wrote this. If you've got other Andrew Gold CDs and you are wanting to find out what he was doing during this period in his solo career, I highly recommend this one, especially if you are wanting to hear the gifted singer/songwriter with more of a rock edge.
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to say you have posted a few albums I know (and I thought I was the only one who bought them)and adore. So I scooped some of the others and I am impressed with the quality. Your writings are bang on. Appreciate your efforts...great site!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!! So much music goes unheard....

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 8:24:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

Thanks for your kind words. I'm having a lot of fun sharing some of my favorite stuff and turning on a younger generation to stuff that they should hear. Music is an extremely emotional thing for me so my writings tend to lean that way rather than the technical aspects and times when I include someone else's review rather than write my own is because that person has said what I wanted to say better than I could.
Thanks again, stop by anytime and drop a line. Feedback is nice.

Tom

Sunday, March 16, 2008 at 11:15:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home