Sunday, February 17, 2008

AIM / FOR THE HIGHEST

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1974 on Blue Thumb Records.
Format: mp3
Bit Rate: 320kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced And Engineered by Chris Huston
Recorded And Mixed at Wally Heider's, Hollywood, California
Album Design & Graphics: Richard Taylor
TRACK LISTING:
Aim For The Highest / My Friend / Hollywood / You Need Me / Seattle / I'm There / Morning Magic / How Are We To Live / Endlessly / 4 O'Clock Rock / We Can Make It
THE BAND:
Michael W. Overly - Guitars, Flutes, Lead and Background Vocals
Patrick O'Connor - Bass
Warren "Bugs" Pemberton - Drums
Loren Newkirk - Keyboards
WEBSITE:
There's nothing out there about the band that I could find.
REVIEW:
I love this album. It's so high energy that it's hard not to be infected by the enthusiasm in the grooves. I can't sing to save my soul, but that doesn't stop me from trying to keep up with Michael Overly's atmospheric, Soaring vocal range. To this day I think his guitar playing / style and vocals are some of the most unique that I've ever heard. The rest of the band are no Slouch either, they're all excellent. The drummer is exceptionally impressive and the bass player lays down a very solid foundation for the soaring guitar and vocal work.
I found this album in a cut-out bin of 50 cent albums in a Detroit area record store back in the late 70's. I was so impressed with it that the next time I went back there I bought 5 more copies of it just to give away to friends. I'm down to two copies left now so sharing has to be done digitally. I believe there's a possibility that this album is a "Christian" rock album due to some of the references made in the lyrics, but the message is so subtle that unless you're really paying attention to the lyrics you'd never know. At any rate listening to this album is pretty much a spiritual experience anyhow so that's not a detracting point.
These days Michael Overly lives in Dayton Ohio and writes some of the best instruction guides for guitar that you can buy. If you play, check out 12 Tone Music Publishing...
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.
Tom

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw this band play at the Kentucky Derby Eve concert at Louisville Downs back in 1974. They opened the show followed by Sugarloaf and the headliner was The Guess Who. I was impressed by Aim enough to go out and buy the cassette of "For The Highest". I think they were from Kentucky.

Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 9:22:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This album is awesome and crosses over into progressive rock, way ahead of its time. You can find some awesome works in the cut out bin. To me, this album is a contender to my all time favorite, Fragile by Yes.

Monday, December 22, 2014 at 11:56:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home