Wednesday, September 03, 2008

ROBBIE ROBERTSON & THE RED ROAD ENSEMBLE / MUSIC FOR THE NATIVE AMERICANS

Digitized from the original CD, released in 1994 on Capitol Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 320 kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced By: Robbie Robertson, Jim Wilson, Toby Gendron, Pierre Duchesne
Associate Producer: Jared Levine
Engineered By: Patrick McCarthy
Recorded At: The Village Recorder, Los Angeles, California; River Sound, New York, New York; Sound Concept, Monteal, Canada; Sunsinger Studios, Alburquerque, New Mexico.
Mixed At: Mix This, Pacific Palisades, California
TRACK LISTING:
Coyote Dance
Mahk Jchi (Heartbeat Drum Song)
Ghost Dance
The Vanishing Breed
It's A Good Day To Die
Golden Feather
Akua Tuta
Words Of Fire, Deeds Of Blood
Cherokee Morning Song
Skinwalker
Ancestor Song
Twisted Hair
THE PLAYERS:
Robbie Robertson - Vocals, Guitars, Keyboards
Drums - Sa Fararas, Benito Concha, Sebastain Robertson, Denis Toupin
Percussion - Alex Acuna, John Bartlit
Programming - Jim Wilson, Dave Pickell, Spotted Eagle, Patrick Leonard
Guitar - Bill Dillon, Jeff Smallwood, Rejean Bouchard
Bass - Bill Dillon, Tony Green, Pierre Duchense
Keyboards - Elodie Lauten, Spotted Eagle, Patrick Leonard
Violin - Daniel Jean
Flute - Spotted Eagle
Background Vocals - Delphine Robertson, Rita Coolidge, Priscilla Coolidge, Laura Satterfield, Claude Pelletter
WEBSITE(S):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Robertson
http://theband.hiof.no/band_members/robbie.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/robbie-robertson

REVIEWS:
By Yours Truly
For as long as I can remember I've had a overpowering interest in Native american culture and spirituality. Even as a small child I was aware of the injustices done to the people who inhabited this land when us white folks "discovered" it. At my age now I long for a time that will never happen again.
To me this album by Robbie Robertson, of The Band fame, is a simple masterpiece. Not too many weeks have gone by since 1994 that I haven't played this CD. The voices, harmonies, melodies are all beautiful, soothing and inspiring. The words are powerful, strong and true. I'll leave it at that because these next reviews pretty much speak for me also.
==========================
If this doesn't blow you away I don't know what will, April 13, 2008
By
Andre Heeger (Hamburg, Germany) - Amazon Customer Review
The first time I listened to the wonderful music on this disc I was speechless for the rest of the day. After playing it again and reading the liner notes on the musicians and the historical background, I pulled Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee from the shelf and reread it. I believe we, as the so-called modern man, have completely lost touch with earth and whatever might be beyond. When I listen to Ghost Dance (my favorite on this disc) I get the feeling of being reconnected. That to me is magic. Robbie and the very diverse group of great musicians take you on a journey through your heart. When listening to this you cannot help but feel close to the Native American. It goes deep, much deeper than you would expect. But it is not just about suffering. There is love and blessing, even forgiveness. The pureness of Coolidge singing the Cherokee Morning Song, the love in Golden Feather, unchangeable history in Ghost Dance or It Is A Good Day To Die, the haunting guitar in The Vanishing Breed: WOW! When daily city life with all its insanity pulls me away from my inner self I put this on and find a way back. I hope it will be able to do the same to you. Maybe if we feel reconnected to all that is around us - earth, nature, the sky, the animals, our brothers and sisters, even those we think of as our enemies - we can find a better way to save it. After all we're all part of the same planet.
=========================================

Contemporary Native American Music, January 8, 2002
By
Zekeriyah (Chicago, IL) - Amazon Customer Review

This CD is beautiful. Theres a ephemeral, spiritual sound to it, yet at the same time its so very modern. I can't think of a good way to explain it, but the music is wonderful. Someof the songs, such as "Coyote Dance", "Ancestor Song" and "Twistd Hair", call to mind beautiful spiritual images in your head. The sound effects and lyrics on "Twisted Hair" in particular still stand out in my mind. Others, such as "Mahk Jchi", "Cherokee Morning Song" and "Akua Tuta", blend traditional Native American music stylings with modern rhythms for a breath taking effect. Many of these songs incorporate other Native American artists, such as Rita Coolidge and Kashtin.However, the most interesting songs on this CD are the ones that come from Robbie Robertson himself. The lyrics to "Ghost Dance", "It is a Good Day to Die" and "Skinwalker" are haunting and will almost certain stick in your mind long after you've finished listening to this CD. The sound effects and soft-spoken voices meld perfectly together with the powerful and moving lyrics to create a magnificent effect. This is one of my favorite Native American CDs and I simply can't recommend it enough, esecially for people unfamilar with contemporary Native American music.
CONTACT:

READ THIS for more information on this album.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I wish i could find the liner notes, and the lyrics to the stuff that is not in english in english along with a pronounciation guide, its hard to sing this stuff by ear. I am blind and would need to find the stuff in html or text flash isn't nice with a screen reader. My mom played me this album when I was seventeen and i have loved it since. If anyone can help with my search, please email me. Also i am looking to hear more stuff like it native american culture music and history has always drawn me and I do not know why.

Friday, March 20, 2009 at 7:32:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home