Sunday, January 06, 2008

ORVILLE STOEBER / SONGS

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1970 on Uni Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate - 320 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced by Bobby Scott & Harry Palmer (Tom Morgan, Executive Producer)
Engineered By: Elvin Campbell
Recorded At: MCA Studios, 57th Street, New York, New York, March 1970
Album Cover: Fred Marcellino
TRACK LISTING:
The King, The Queen & The Joker / Open His Head - Where’s Jack Was / Oh, Sweet Music / Lonely Sparrow / Joey’s Party / No More Masterpieces / Like An Ocean / Seventh Avenue / Annabelle Lee / Cincinnati / Morton Street Pier / Takin’ A Holiday
THE PLAYERS:
Orville Stoeber – Lyrics, Music, Vocals, Guitars
Harry Palmer – Guitar
Ray Barrett – Keyboards
George Duvivier - Bass
\WEBSITE(S):
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
This album is one of the treasures of my record collection. I don't recall when or where I bought it but there was something about it at the time that made me bring it home. It’s been played to death since 1970 which is why I recently got on Ebay and just by chance happened to find someone with a "new" copy for sale at a reasonable price. After a couple weeks to complete the transaction I opened the cellophane wrap and put it on the turntable to make the Mp3 version. I'm pretty sure that this "new" copy isn't entirely new, although I could be wrong, but nevertheless it's in a heckuva lot better shape than my original copy.
Over the years I searched thru record bins in the hopes of finding a second album by Orville but never even found another copy of this one let alone another. Since I got online back in the mid 90's I've done occasional searches for him, never having any luck until just a couple weeks ago when I typed his name in Google and a brand new website popped up! I was elated and spent the next hour or so rummaging thru the whole site. To my surprise and pleasure Orville had seem to come from whereever he'd been hiding the last 35 years or so, back to the world of music. Listed there on his website were two new albums that he'd put out in the last several years. Since this discovery I've been trying to secure copies of both, but not having a charge card or a decent music stores around here is making it difficult. I was so happy to rediscover him that I sent him a short Email explaining my reasons for having to write and to my pleasant surprise he wrote back the next day. As much as I'd like to write again and ask some questions about the songs on "Songs" I've held off, not wanting to be a pest. I'd love to know what he's been doing for all these years past but it's not likely he'd be open to telling his life's story to a Stranger.
At any rate.....I could do a short dissertation on each of the tunes included here, but I don't have that much time and no one would probably read it anyhow so let me just say that you need to give this piece of art a listen. It's not hard to hear the brilliance and the soul of these “simple” acoustic guitar driven songs. Each one is a jewel within itself. Orville’s guitar work and voice are both expertly used tools to make these songs shine. I could ramble on about the songs in this collection, but the best suggestion I could make is to listen to this album with no distractions and see if any of the songs here strike a chord with you. That’s really the most important thing that can happen between the performer and the listener, the connection.
Let me know what you think, good or bad, if you have the time.
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird synchronicity: I was listening to R. Stevie Moore's song "This Wednesday" yesterday, which includes the line "will I have to call Orville Stoeber." I always assumed that RSM made the name up because he needed something to rhyme with "are you gonna come over," but no - he's a real guy! And I think (I _think_) the Harry Palmer listed as guitarist was R. Stevie's uncle, the guy who helped him put out his first DIY album.

Looking forward to hearing this. Thanks!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 7:20:00 AM EST  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

Interesting stuff. I'm gonna have to look up this R. Stevie Moore and hear that for myself. Thanks for the info.

Tom

Monday, January 21, 2008 at 1:06:00 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been searching everywhere for the album "Songs". I'm so glad I've found this wonderful music. Thank you so much for finding Orville Stoeber!

Leo van de Ketterij
The Netherlands (Middelburg)

Friday, March 21, 2008 at 7:23:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

Leo you may be interested to know he's put out some new stuff in the last several years. check the links in the article.

tom

Monday, March 31, 2008 at 11:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, it's me Ray Barrett who did keyboards on this album (my first)
thanks to a previous and ongoing relationship with Harry Palmer.
Somehow, I only have my one and only copy of the album, altho' I believe I do have some acetates. I've seen original copies, some from Japan, and just haven't gotten around to purchasing. Certainly would love to have a CD copy, since this was a significant event in my life (I was 18).And so it goes.....

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 10:09:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Rick said...

I can't believe I found a fan of this album. I won this album in a radio contest in 1970 in Topeka Ks. (along with 99 others) and this one hit me right away. I was only 16 then but Orville struck a cord in me and I still find myself singing these great songs today. To find a digital version is beyond my wildest hopes.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 12:58:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Alexandria-Capri Kimball, "Darlin Archie" the Antics said...

I have a deep admiration for Orville Stoeber's masterpieces (pun intended). I hear stupid songs on the radio and see wannabe bands trying to lay down something good, but ever since I tasted the honey his album is, I can't hear or make music with any less soul or beautiful words. I can't believe the stuff people are listening to, the new crap rap or acid rock, when there's Orville Stoeber's songs. His chord progressions and vocal lines are prestine, and I can't believe he's not more famous for what he's done.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 2:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger osart said...

O.K. For anyone who still cares, I remastered "Songs"from a fairly clean disc and it sounds good, It took me years to actually listen to the work I recorded with Ray and Harry, Bobby Scott, George Duvivier all these years ago (40 in 2011). You can pick up a copy on CD Baby, there are many bootlegs of "Songs" but I think mine is the only one that has been properly mastered. Happy listening, Orville Stoeber

Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 8:43:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home