Friday, August 15, 2008

CITY BOY / CITY BOY

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1976 on Mercury Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 256 Kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced By: Robert "Mutt" John Lange
Engineered By: Mick Glossop, Steve Brown
Recorded At: The Manor Studios, Oxford & Phonogram Studios, London
Album Cover: Clare Osborn, Rayment Kirby
TRACK LISTING:
(Moonlight) Shake My Head And Leave
Deadly Delicious
Surgery Hours (Doctor, Doctor)
Sunset Boulevard
Oddball Dance
5000 Years / Don't Know, Can't Tell
The Hap-Ki-Do Kid
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Haymaking Time
THE BAND:
Lol Mason - Lead Vocals, Percussion
Steve Broughton - Lead Vocals, Guitar, Mandolin, Percussion
Max Thomas - Vocals, Keyboards, Guitars, Percussion
Mike Slamer - Vocals, Lead Guitar, Percussion
Chris Dunn - Vocals, Bass, Guitar
Roger Kent - Drums, Percussion
WEBSITE:
http://cityboy.org/
http://cityboy.psilander.se/

REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
I'm warning ya right now, City Boy is one of my all-time favorite bands amd Mike Slamer is one helluva guitar player so I'm a bit biased, but I will tell ya that this is their first vinyl effort and it is a bit spotty in places as are many bands first efforts in the studio. However, knowing what they were going to produce in the future I tend to be forgiving of the few warts this album has.....I mean, cmon, everybody's gotta start somewhere! Personally the first cut on side 2 (of the vinyl, duh!), a two-fer called "5000 Years / Don't Know, Can't Tell" is worth the price of the album all by itself and there are other great moments thru-out the disc. If you give it a couple listens with an open mind I'm sure you'll find something to hang your hat on and next week when I put up the rest of their discography you'll be ready to watch them grow (and eventually peter out) as a highly creative band.
To say City Boy was a not a radio friendly band is kind of an understatement. I do remember hearing some of the stuff off their later albums on the local progressive rock station until big business started trying to kill off any music that didn't fit in with their plan to rule the musical world and feed us the drivel they thought we should have........ Isn't it about time for underground radio to make a comeback???
Anyhow, check this one out, but be warned you need to pay attention to what's going into your ears. Background music it's not and it's pretty much guaranteed that your date (or girlfriend, or wife etc..) won't like to hear this stuff blasting out of the speakers from the den so you might as well just put the headphones on now and scour the net for the lyrics to these tunes. They don't make 'em like this anymore kids........
Tom
CONTACT:
READ THIS for more information on this album.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this beautiful blog, but I was wondering...isn’t there something better than Rapidshare these days? As of recently, they have purposely limited the maximum download speed for free users. It's slow!

I’m thinking Zshare, Mediafire, Megaupload or the multiple-choice Sharebee.

Cheers!

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 11:54:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

yes I know they've changed the way they operate lately. The plus side being no more 2+ hour wait inbetween downloads. The downside of that of course is now things seem to download much slower. Not sure if that was their plan or not but I kinda like it better now myself because I'm usually doing several things at once so after I hit download I just go about my business until the download is complete and then I go get another one, no waiting anymore!
I probably will look into other venues, but it won't be until the outdoor season is over and I've got more time to sit in front of the screen. Some of those other outfits don't seem as stable and reliable as Rapidshare so it's all kind of a trade-off in someway.
Thanks for the feedback.

TC

Monday, August 18, 2008 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home