Monday, July 21, 2008

A Reiteration

It seems recently that my little attempt here at sharing some music from my youth has grown out past the bounds of family and friends to include some of the musicians who's music I have shared here and love dearly.
With that in mind I have to restate my position and the purpose of this blog. First and foremost the reason I do this is to share music that although no longer on the "hit parade" is still viable and very much worthy of a new generation of music listeners time. The idea here isn't to give you an easy way to "steal" music but the opportunity to hear music you more than likely won't be able to find anywhere else. Most of the stuff here is ripped from my vinyl LP's and quite a few of them haven't even had a CD upgrade. That doesn't mean that the music is no longer worth listening to....it simply means that the idiot suits that have run the music industry into the ground saw no reason to make this music available to that new generation of listeners.
I can only speak for myself and possibly other bloggers like myself who share the same intent, but the reason I do this is to get the word out. If I've got a Lp rip here of something available on CD and you dig it.....buy the CD!. Sure you own an Mp3 version for your Ipod now, but if you want to hear the full recording in all it's glory you need to get a better source than an Mp3. If you love music you owe it to yourself to become an audiophile and get the best equipment and recordings that are available. If we don't do that then the current situation will continue to worsen. At the very least cruise the used CD stores and Goodwills across the land to locate source material.
Again, speaking only for myself, but I can tell both the musician who comes here and finds their work available for download and the yahoo who thinks free mp3's are as good as it gets that this blog is a radio station for the new millenium....you aren't going to hear any of this older stuff on the radio and more than likey won't hear any of the newer stuff I write about either. It just ain't gonna happen with the current situation so I'm living out a personal fantasy of being a D.J. and trying to get the word out. I can tell ya that I've bought more CD's and albums in the last 2 years since I discovered blogs then I did the previous 5 years, simply because I've been exposed to more new stuff that I dig.
It's hard to have customers if they don't know you're selling something........
So, in closing I hope you'll consider what I've said and keep the music alive. It's kept me alive for 55 years now so I figure that trying to return the favor is the least I can do.
Rock on folks and keep looking up, you never know what might be coming down. (thanks Jackson)
TC

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, i am only 21 (outside of the "friends and family" you mention as well) and have found your blog while searching for wet willie in a digital format...and i must truly thank you; i have tracked down all of the lps in varying conditions and was just seeking out a more portable way to play them back, for both myself and others to enjoy...you are dead on about classic music that DESERVES to be heard by a younger generation fed on drivel! as all of the capricorn reissues of the past decade are now gone, your work is greatly appreciated, though i still scour the used bins on a monthly basis with high hopes!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 10:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Tom Eckels said...

Thanks very much for your comments man.....it gives me some hope that there are still people out there who dig good music, or at least my definition of it :-)
Stay tuned I'm working on getting the last 3 albums ready to upload, hopefully sometime in the next couple days....

Take care.

TC

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 11:30:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home