Friday, April 25, 2008

MIKE GREENE / MIDNIGHT MIRAGE

Digitized from the original vinyl, released in 1976 on Mercury Records.
Format: Mp3
Bit Rate: 320kbps
ALBUM INFO:
Produced By: Mike Greene
Production Assistant: Antonio Reale
Engineered By: Antonio Reale
Recorded & Mastered At: The Sound Pit, Atlanta, Georgia
Album Cover: Ron Vallani
String Arranger / Conductor: Skip Lane
TRACK LISTING:
Joni
Midnight Mirage
Down To The Wire
Jay Bluweesie
Perfect Smile
Adobe Hideaway
I Need A Love
Smile To Me
Circles Round The Sun
All song written by Mike Greene
THE BAND:
Mike Greene – Keyboards, Saxophones, Flutes
Rande Powell – Drums, Percussion
David Michael – Guitars
Michael Holbrook – Bass
WEBSITE(S):
I surfed for about a half hour and couldn’t find a thing about this band. A couple sites selling their albums but no info……Mike Greene is a fairly common name.
REVIEW:
By Yours Truly
This is a nice, easy to listen to album. Kinda jazzy and light. All the musicians know their craft and do a very good job playing together as a tight ensemble. I’ve played this album since I bought it in the late 70’s and it’s still a satisfying listening experience today. I don’t have a whole lot else to say about it. Give it a listen and see if you want to hear it again after you’ve played it thru once. I’d be surprised if you don’t find it a nice addition to your musical collection. Just another one more of those bands that fell in between the cracks and deserves a chance to be heard.
CONTACT:
READ THIS
for more information on this album.

Tom

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLAESE PLEASE UPLOAD IF ANYONE HAVE THE OTHER LP FROM MIKE GREENE PALE PALE MOON.
Thanasis from Greece.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 at 12:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger superduckbutter said...

Actually, the Mike Greene story is pretty interesting. Like the other posters and viewers of this site, I wondered what ever happended to this talented musician and why after what I thought were two phenominal albums, he just disappeared. This is probably not an uncommon story in the music business and many a talented musician go on to become construction workers or bartenders. Mike Greene as it turned out did much better.

His story is that he was the son of a professional musician; Mike was a successful studio musician in the Atlanta area and also the president of the local chapter of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP). During the 80s ASCAP was a staid organization with a small budget and not much going for it. Mike Greene managed to become their organization's national president (known theretofore as Michael Greene).

In addition to being a good studio musician, he must have been a great organizer because he managed to transform the organization and the national Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS)into a media powerhouse and the Grammy Awards as they exist today are a result of his efforts (although from what I have read he was somewhat autocratic). Somewhere around 2002 there was a shakeup up at NARAS and he parted ways in the middle of a multi-year contract (apparently with a rather comfortable multi-million dollar golden parachute).

So that's all the information I have on him. A different trajectory than your average struggling musician. What ever he is doing these days it would be interesting to see him record some new work. He is clearly talented on many levels.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 7:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An aside - I went to junior high with Rande Powell, the drummer in the '60's. He and I played drums together - he was a superb drummer destined for great things, I thought. He went on the music path, I took a different route. I have been trying in vain for several years now to locate him. In my search I have come across these Michael Greene albums as one source on him. I note he also played on a Dave Brubeck album titled 'Two generations of Brubeck". That's all I can find. If anyone knows where/how he is doing I would greatly appreciate it if you could drop me a note at:
FrankAir1@cox.net.

thanks

Frank

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 5:04:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home