Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Crooked Creek At The Porch, Shenendoah Farms, Virginia May 28th, 2006

This entry should've been made several weeks ago after we got home from the bike trip to Virgina but the day is only so long and I've only got so much time to devote to the things I enjoy doing so this is a case of better late than never.

Over the Memorial Day weekend myself and my son, Chris, took the bike out to visit my longtime Friend, David, in his new home in Front Royal, VA. He suggested that we check out a bluegrass concert being held on Sunday at a place called John Shipe Park in Boyce Va., outside of Front Royal a ways. So, on Sunday afternoon, after spending the morning touring the hallowed ground of Manassas, we showed up at the park to hear what we could hear.

The first group was good but their entire repertoire was gospel tinged, to put it mildly and after a half hour it was starting to wear on us so we went and got lunch. When we came back from eating there was a new band on stage and this group caught my ear(s) right away. After listening from a distance for a couple tunes I decided to go up front (in the shade of the stage) and get a bit more involved in what was going on. From then until we had to go I enjoyed what I was hearing and it really made me want to pick up my guitar and join in.

When we got back home from Virginia I Emailed the gentleman who put on the show and asked about the availability of CDs. He responded by telling me that they'd recorded that concert at the park and he'd send me a copy of the whole performance in a couple days. True to his word, within a week I had not 1 but 3 CD's of this groups material that I've been enjoying immensely since it arrived. While I can't share with you the entire concert I can, if this will work, share a tune with you that I recorded on my camera. The sound quality is not nearly as good as the CD's of course, but it should still give you an idea of what I'm talking about......

To listen to a bit of downhome, true to it's roots bluegrass, just click on the picture below. If it's going to work for you, you should see Windows Media Player, or whatever you use to view .mpg files, pop up and load the file. If for some reason it doesn't do that, then I don't know what to tell ya........
UPDATE 6/22/06
Well, it seems that all the free sites I use won't hold a file the size of the one that I'd like to share and I haven't gotten around to upgrading my package yet to where I have to pay a monthly fee so until I do there won't be anything here to hear.......
Stay tuned.

Here's a couple sites to check out for information on the Virginia Bluegrass scene.

This is the organization that put on the concert we attended.

ttp://www.berryvillebluegrass.com/

This is a Virginia sponsored site that covers the bluegrass hot spots in the state

http://www.thecrookedroad.org/

the Lonesome River Band has several members that also play in Crooked Creek

http://www.lonesomeriverband.com/


TC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home